【在生活中學習語言】〈 職人英語通〉放鴿子!Stand someone up!
〈 職人英語通〉放鴿子!Stand someone up!
文/Dr.J.J.
據說中文裡常說的「放鴿子」,是跟鴿子的回巢本能有關。早幾年,有些惡質的客運司機,常還沒到目的地就把乘客放下來,如同放鴿子般,讓乘客自己解決回去的問題。
不過,英文裡形容放別人鴿子,則是用”stand someone up!”來表示,意指讓別人在某個地方苦苦地站著等人,也就是中文裡常說的放鴿子囉!
Larry:From now on, don’ t even talk to me. We’ re not friends anymore.
Larry:從現在開始不要跟我說話。我們不再是朋友了。
Coco:Oh please! I know I shouldn’ t have forgot about the appointment with you.
I didn’ t mean it at all.
Coco:不要這樣嘛,我知道我不該忘了我們的約會。我不是故意的。
Larry:Sunday morning with the pouring rain! I was waiting outside of the MRT station like a fool…
Larry:禮拜天早上下著傾盆大雨,我在捷運站外面像個傻子似的苦苦等候…。
Coco:I didn’ t know it would rain so heavily that day.
Coco:我不知道那天會下那麼大的雨嘛。
Larry:I even cancelled my usual lunch with my family and You Stood Me Up!
Larry:我甚至為了你取消跟家人的午餐,結果你竟然放我鴿子!
Coco:No, I didn’ t! Well, I did, but I didn’ t mean it. You know how forgetful I can be sometimes. Please give me one more chance to make it up.
Coco:不,我沒有!我是說,有啦,但我真的不是故意的,你知道我有時候真的很健忘嘛。再給我一次彌補的機會啦。
Larry:Don’ t even think about it.
Larry:想都不要想。
Coco:Well, I know I don’ t deserve a genuine friend like you. Let me just give these 2 baseball tickets to others. They are useless now anyway.
Coco:好吧,我知道我是不配有個像你這麼真誠的朋友,那我還是把這2張棒球賽的門票給別人好了。反正現在也用不到了。
Larry:Baseball tickets?
Larry:棒球賽的門票?
Coco:Yes, for this Saturday’ s match.
Coco:是啊,這個禮拜六的比賽。
Larry:Well, if you promise never to do that again to me, I’ ll forgive you for the last time….
Larry:嗯,如果你保證下次不再犯的話,我就當這是最後一次原諒你囉…。
自由時報-970313
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
上一篇:【在生活中學習語言】You Can Catch More Flies with Honey Than with Vine
下一篇:【在生活中學習語言】《中英對照讀新聞》The satnav dog collar that keeps track of