【在生活中學習語言】You Can Catch More Flies with Honey Than with Vine
You Can Catch More Flies with Honey Than with Vinegar |
好言勸說比惡言諷刺更管用 |
對話
Linda:What are you doing? Did you mess this up again?
琳達:你在幹麼啊?你又把事情搞砸了嗎?
Jack:I'm trying to do it like you told me.
傑克:我正努力嘗試按照妳告訴我的方式去做。
Linda:Well, you've failed. Look at this. It's a disaster.
琳達:呃,你失敗了。看看這個。真是一場災難。
Jack:Okay, okay. I'll start again.
傑克:好啦,好啦。我會重新再做一次。
Linda:You always screw things up. Why can't you just try harder?
琳達:你總是把事情搞砸。為什麼你就不能更努力點?
Jack:You know, you're always criticizing me.
傑克::妳知道嗎?妳老愛批評我。
Linda:Well, you're always making mistakes.
琳達:喂,誰教你老是出錯。
Jack:Didn't you ever hear that you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?You should try saying something nice to me.
傑克:難道妳沒聽過好話比尖酸話有用嗎?妳應該試著對我說些好話。
Linda:Okay. You have a genius for making a mess of everything.
琳達:好啊。你的確有把一切搞砸的才能。
延伸學習
俚語精解
You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar
fly是「蒼蠅」,vinegar是「醋」。這句話字面指「你用蜂蜜可以抓到的蒼蠅比你用醋抓到的蒼蠅要來得多」,後來引申為當我們要說服某人做某件事時,「好言勸說比惡言諷刺更管用」。
關鍵字詞
◎mess vt. 弄糟 & n. 混亂
mess sth up 把某事搞砸
◎screw sth up 搞砸某事
例:Henry really screwed up his life after getting a divorce.(亨利離婚後把生活搞得一團亂。)
◎criticize vt. 批評
例:The manager was criticized for not doing well on his job.(這名經理因為工作表現不佳而受到批評。)
◎genius n. 才能
例:Tom has a genius for making friends with people from all walks of life.(湯姆有交各行業朋友的才能。)
想重溫
本版文章結集及生活美語線上教學短片請瀏覽abc.1-apple.com.tw
WWW.IVY.COM.TW提供