【在生活中學習語言】As Merry as a Cricket快樂得不得了
As Merry as a Cricket |
快樂得不得了 |
對話
Susan:Hi, Anna.
蘇珊:嗨,安娜。
Anna:Hey, Susan. What's going on?You look as merry as a cricket.
安娜:嘿,蘇珊。怎麼了?你看起來好開心啊!
Susan:Well... maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but I'm getting plastic surgery on Friday!
蘇珊:這個嘛……也許我不該跟你講,但是這個星期五我要做整形手術!
Anna:What!You are?
安娜:什麼!你說真的?
Susan:Yep. I'm so excited.
蘇珊:對啊,我超興奮的。
Anna:But Susan, don't you think that might be a bad idea?
安娜:但是,蘇珊,你不覺得這主意不太好嗎?
Susan:Why?I want to look younger and more beautiful.
蘇珊:為什麼?我想要看起來更年輕貌美啊。
Anna:Yeah, but...do you think it is worth the risk?
安娜:沒錯……但你覺得冒這個險值得嗎?
Susan:Oh, don't worry. It's so common these days.
蘇珊:噢,別擔心啦,現在整型很平常。
Anna:I hope you don't end up looking like Frankenstein.
安娜:我希望你到時候不要看起來像個科學怪人。
Susan:I'm detecting the green-eyed monster in you.
蘇珊:我發現你心中住著嫉妒的綠眼怪獸呢。
延伸學習
◎俚語精解
.As Merry as a Cricket 快樂得不得了
as…as…意指「像……一樣的」,而cricket則是「蟋蟀」,as merry as a cricket 字面指「開心得像隻蟋蟀」,引伸為「開心得不得了」。蟋蟀的叫聲在西方文化中含歡樂寓意,常見文學作品中。另還有as happy as a clam(像蛤蜊一樣開心)。
◎關鍵字詞
plastic surgery n.整形手術
be worth + V-ing/N 值得……
例:This new shirt is definitely worth your money. You look gorgeous on it.
(這件新襯衫絕對值得你花的錢。你穿上它好看極了。)
.end up… 結果是……
例:How did you end up in this deserted town in the middle of nowhere?
= How did you wind up in this deserted town in the middle of nowhere?
(你怎麼會跑到這座鳥不生蛋的荒涼小鎮來呢?)
.Frankstein 科學怪人
.the green-eyed monster 綠眼怪獸;嫉妒
例:Ted detected that Frank was lying.(泰德察覺到法蘭克在說謊。)
想重溫
本版文章結集及生活美語線上教學短片請瀏覽abc.1-apple.com.tw
WWW.IVY.COM.TW提供
上一篇:【在生活中學習語言】《中英對照讀新聞》Antagonism rife in the ant world螞蟻世界充滿對立
下一篇:【在生活中學習語言】《中英對照讀新聞》Fresher blood poses fewer surgery risks新鮮