【在生活中學習語言】Fishing for Compliments要人家說好聽話
Fishing for Compliments
要人家說好聽話
對話
Jesse:Hey, did you listen to my new CD yet?
潔絲:嘿,你聽了我的新CD沒?
Tim:Oh, yeah, I listened to it yesterday.
提姆:噢,有啊,我昨天聽了。
Jesse:Yesterday?Really?
潔絲:昨天嗎?真的嗎?
Tim:Yep.
提姆:對啊。
Jesse:Oh...Did you listen to it a couple of times?
潔絲:噢……你有聽好幾遍嗎?
Tim:No, just once.
提姆:沒有耶,只有一次。
Jesse:I see...Um, did you listen to it loud or quiet?
潔絲:喔……了解。呃,你是開大聲聽還是小聲聽?
Tim:Jesse, are you fishing for compliments?
提姆:潔絲,妳是不是想要我讚美幾句呢?
Jesse:Well, I just want to know what you think about it.
潔絲:呃,我只是想聽聽你的想法而已。
Tim:You know, its not really the kind of music Im into.
提姆:妳知道的,這不是我喜歡的音樂類型。
Jesse:But didnt you think it was interesting?
潔絲:但你不覺得這張CD挺有趣的?
Tim:Actually... no, I didnt really like it.
提姆:事實上呢……不,我真的不喜歡。
Jesse:You have terrible taste in music.
潔絲:你對音樂的品味真差勁。
延伸學習
俚語精解
fishing for compliments
fish在此作動詞指「釣(魚)」,compliment是「恭維」、「讚美」之意。fish for compliments字面上的意思是「釣讚美」,也就是故意講些話引誘別人讚美自己,即「要人家說好聽話」之意。
關鍵字詞
loud a. 大聲的
例:There were some loud noises coming from downstairs last night.(昨晚樓下傳來幾陣大聲的噪音。)
quiet a. 安靜的
例:Our house is located in a quiet neighborhood of suburban Taipei.(我們的家位於台北市郊一個安靜的社區。)
be into sth 對某事很感興趣
例:I'm really into photography, so I have been taking some courses on weekends.(我對攝影很有興趣,所以周末一直有在上一些課。)
have good/terrible taste in sth 對……有好╱差的品味
例:Angela has good taste in clothes, so I like to go shopping with her.(安琪拉對衣服很有品味,所以我喜歡和她一起逛街。)