2008-09-11 22:21:59 落葉之楓

【在生活中學習語言】〈 職人英語通〉被蒙在鼓裡 Kept in the dark!

【在生活中學習語言】〈 職人英語通〉被蒙在鼓裡 Kept in the dark!
文/Dr.J.J. 圖/老唐

在黑暗中不單伸手不見五指,更別說想要看清一絲絲事物的輪廓了,所以,自然對該事情完全不知情也沒有任何的瞭解。

而在英文裡,如果說某人是”kept in the dark”(被放到黑暗中),意思就很類似中文裡說的「被蒙在鼓裡」,意謂這人完全被排除在外,對整件事情毫不知情的意思。

Adam:I feel like a total outsider at the company. Nobody wants to tell me what’s going on.

Adam:我覺得自己在公司裡好像是個局外人。沒人要告訴我到底發生什麼事了。

Brian:Hey, don’t say that. I think it’s just a matter of time. Sooner or later, they’ll let you know.

Brian:別這樣說嘛。我想,只是時間的問題。遲早他們會讓你知道的。

Adam:But it’s just not fair. I am the one who initiated the whole thing.

Adam:可是這很不公平。我是發起整件事情的人呢。

Brian:I know! Nobody would ever deny that.

Brian:我知道啊!沒人可以否認的。

Adam:And look what I got now apart from being kept in the dark. Just tell me how would you feel if you were me.

Adam:看看我除了被蒙在鼓裡外還得到什麼。你倒是說說看,如果你是我的話,你會怎麼想。

Brian:Oh you’re putting me in a difficult situation now. I wanted to tell you but I also promised I would stay tight-lipped.

Brian:唉呦,你讓我好為難。我很想告訴你,可是我也答應會守口如瓶的。

Adam:To me? Remember I’m the one who got you in the company 5 years ago?

Adam:對我?記得5年前還是我帶你進公司的嗎?

Brian:Don’t do this to me. Ok, you promise you will just pretend you don’t know anything about it?

Brian:別這樣嘛。好吧,你保證你會假裝不知情喔?

Adam:Deal.

Adam:一言為定。

Brian:They nominated you to be the Employee of theYyear and they just want to give you a surprise.

Brian:他們提名你為年度最佳員工,大家只是想給你一個驚喜啊。

Adam:Mine! I’m so touched.

Adam:天啊,我太感動了。

 


自由時報-970911
++++++++++++++++++++++