【在生活中學習語言】〈 職人英語通〉兵來將擋 水來土掩Roll with the punches!
【在生活中學習語言】〈 職人英語通〉兵來將擋 水來土掩Roll with the punches!
文/Dr.J.J.
在日常生活或工作上,難免會碰到一些挑戰或打擊,若採取「硬碰硬」的態度,有時很容易就會傷到自己。這時,不妨抱持「兵來將擋,水來土掩(roll with the punches)」的輕鬆心態,往往就能事事迎刃而解了。
其實”roll with the punches”這句俚語是從拳擊賽衍生而來。意指,當別人揮拳時候,必須要跟著能閃能躲好像跟著對方的「出拳(punches)」一起「捲(roll)」似的才行,如此非但能不被對方傷到,還能找機會反擊,達到最後勝利。
Ben:I really admire you for always being so optimistic.
Ben:我真是佩服你永遠都這麼樂觀。
Steve:Well, I’m just trying to make my life easier. It’s doesn’t help to feel miserable about everything.
Steve:我只是試著讓日子好過一點。就算你對每件事都覺得很淒慘,也是於事無補。
Ben:Yes, my guru! I should just learn from you and my life will be so much enlightened!
Ben:沒錯,我的心靈大師!我應該跟你好好學習,那麼我的日子將會深受啟發!
Steve:Ha, you’re funny.
Steve:哈,你很耍寶喔。
Ben:Now our company is merged by Power.com and I heard very soon their management team will take over our department. This means we’ll be placed under our ex competitor’s supervision.
Ben:我們公司現在被Power.com合併了,我聽說他們的管理團隊很快就會接手我們部門。也就是說,以後我們就要被我們的前競爭對手管了呢。
Steve:I know where you’re coming from. They are certainly not known for being as flexible and open-minded as us.
Steve:我知道你在想什麼。他們可不像我們公司這麼有彈性又民主。
Ben:This is exactly what I’m worried about.
Ben:這也正是我所擔心的。
Steve:Let’s just roll with the punches and I’m sure we will be fine.
Steve:只能兵來將擋水來土掩囉,我相信我們會沒事的。
自由時報-971217
+++++++++++++++++++++++
上一篇:【在生活中學習語言】《中英對照讀新聞》Washing hands can make you less judgmenta
下一篇:【在生活中學習語言】《中英對照讀新聞》Africans take too many holidays, says Uga