2008-08-20 23:17:16 落葉之楓

【在生活中學習語言】〈 職人英語通〉 各退一步 Meet each other half way!

〈 職人英語通〉 各退一步 Meet each other half way!
圖/老唐

文/Dr.J.J. 圖/老唐

每個人都有自己的想法與堅持,勉強說服對方完全接受自己的意見,可能不太容易,這時,若能彼此各退一步或各讓一步,取個折衷點,事情不但容易解決,雙方面子也都掛得住!

想像一下,如果一條路上兩端各有一人,且不願屈就自己過去另一頭,那麼,彼此不如約在中途見面,問題就解決了。因此英文可用”meet each other half way!(約在中途碰面)”來做表達,也就是中文裡常說的各讓(退)一步的意思囉。

Kevin:You’ve got to be joking! How can your quotation be so high?

Kevin:你在開玩笑吧!你的報價怎麼這麼高?

Nora:We might be slightly more expensive than other local companies, but you get the best quality.

Nora:也許我們比其他本地公司稍微貴了一點,但你得到最好的品質啊。

Kevin:Slightly more expensive? You’re way too expensive! In fact, you’re over 80% higher than other international agencies.

Kevin:稍微貴一點?你們貴太多了!事實上,你們比其他外商公司貴了80%。

Nora:That can’t be possible! You know all the requirements you have this time just adds up our costs significantly.

Nora:怎麼可能!你也知道的,你這次列的這些要求讓我們成本增加了好多。

Kevin:But come on, how much business we give you each year. You really need to give me a better price to convince me not to go for others this time.

Kevin:可是我們一年給你們多少生意啊!你這次一定要給個讓我滿意的價格,才能說服我不要用別家公司。

Nora:You’re putting me in very difficult situation now. You want the best quality in the shortest possible time and yet at the lowest price…

Nora:你真是讓我很難做?。你要最好的品質,最短的時間交貨,但又只肯付最低的價格……

Kevin:Clients are always like this, aren’t they? And I consider myself a very good client.

Kevin:客戶不都是這樣嗎?我自認可是個很好的客戶呢。

Nora:Ok, ok. Let’s meet each other half way then. I’ll give you a further 10% discount and that’s the best I can do.

Nora:好吧,好吧。我們就各讓一步吧,我再給妳10%的折扣,這可是我最大的極限了。

Kevin:That’s a deal!

Nora:成交!

自由時報-970820

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++